6221 US Highway 61/67
Imperial, MO 63052

Phone : (636) 464-0777

Fax : (636) 464-2088

Like Our Pet Lodge Facebook Page Like Our Animal Hospital Facebook Page

Simone's Story

blogpostSimone’s life came to an end entirely to soon. Her family wanted us to share her story in hopes that her tragedy would prevent this from happening to another family.

Simone had been groomed and seemed to be uncomfortable afterwards. Her family thought she could have had a little clipper burn and thought if they gave her some ibuprofen it might help with her inflammation and discomfort. Simone was given 100 mg. of ibuprofen at 6 p.m., 9 p.m. and 11 p.m. Early that next morning Simone began to vomit. Her family brought her to us and explained what her symptoms were and what had been given at home. Dr. Worth immediately concluded that Simone was suffering from ibuprofen toxicity. Simone was admitted to our hospital and given fluids. She was also given toxiban, a finely ground charcoal which is given by mouth to bind toxins in the stomach and intestines and pass them through the body without allowing them to be absorbed. Toxiban needs to be given soon after ingestion of the toxin. Dr. Worth’s biggest concern was what damage was done to her liver and kidney’s.

When pets ingest small overdoses of an NSAID, such as ibuprofen, it can result in severe stomach ulcers, causing signs of:


  • vomiting

  • bloody vomit

  • diarrhea or black-tarry stool

  • weakness

  • pale gums (anemia)

  • abdominal pain

  • lethargy

  • loss of appetite

  • With larger ingestions, halitosis, kidney failure, liver failure and neurological problems (e.g., tremors, seizures)



Dr. Worth had a blood panel done quickly. The blood work indicated elevated values that showed the kidney’s and liver had some damage. Simone was hospitalized with us for the day and most of the night, fluids were given continuously. Simone was responding to treatment and was stable, she had no vomiting and was alert. She was sent home with her family to watch overnight and instructed if there were any concerns to go to the Animal Emergency Clinic immediately. Unfortunately Simone began seizuring in the night. Her family immediately rushed to the Emergency Clinic but Simone passed away on the car ride there.

Her family came to see us the next morning and we all shared in their grief.

Please, Pet owners, never give any medication to your dog or cat without consultation with your veterinarian. Remember little Simone’s story before you give any medications to your pet without a veterinarian’s advice.

One response to “Simone’s Story”

  1. Lori says:

    so sorry to read this and thank you for the information.

Leave a Reply